September 27, 2011

Legacy

Have you noticed the trend in recent years of how animals (particularly small fluffy dogs) are embraced with more affection than children?  It is very bizarre to me, because I wonder to myself, "What legacy is that little animal going to carry on for that person?"  I have my children to carry on my legacy; I have the opportunity to instill values, hard work standards, integrity, morals and healthy problem solving tools in my little ones.  


Is it a perfect legacy?  No, by any means!  But it is my chance to take everything I have been given, baggage and failings included, and give it back to God and say, "Here you go.  You made me.  You know what my limits and weaknesses are.  But you hand-picked me to be the mother to these exact children."  


Our legacy doesn't occur in one moment when we've responded correctly; it doesn't happen when we've given the perfect answer to our little one's curious inquiry.  Our legacy is built over time, day after day of consistently correcting, teaching, loving, responding and even blowing it, because that is our opportunity to model humility and the life lesson of learning to ask for forgiveness.


"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglas  

No comments:

Post a Comment