October 1, 2011

Baggage - We All Have It

When you blame others, you give up your power to change.  ~Author Unknown~


We have all experienced disappointments from our own experiences with our parents, regardless of the relationship we may hold with them now.  I experienced many hardships as a child, but I have come to realize that while I can point blame for the lack of parenting that took place, I can also see the positive traits I developed out of a need for survival.

One of my biggest hang-ups as a parent is that I will pass down all my garbage to my children, that they will grow up and resent me for not meeting all their needs, not communicating with them positively enough, for not affirming them with the right words, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

A wise woman once told me that without my mistakes, my children would have no need for God.  Yes, I have baggage.  Yes, I have doubts and fears.  But I also believe in God's perfect words - that He can take anything and make it work for good - for those who love Him.

For years, I placed blame on those I felt could have done a better job with my formative years as a child.  For years, I was bitter and angry that I didn't have the right tools to be the right kind of parent.  But who is perfect at anything?  Only God is perfect.  He promises us His strength and wisdom if only we ask and believe wholeheartedly! 

I fail every single day.  But I'm not defeated by bitterness and anger for what I didn't have growing up.  My children need me now - to be emotionally present with them in the every day issues of life.  I refuse to accept and believe the lies that what I'm doing today does not matter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment