October 18, 2011

Everyday Life Prayer

How do we DO that??  I know the answer, and it's the best thing I can do, but what does that actually look like?

P.r.a.y.e.r.

A few months ago, my good friend and I decided that we would meet once a week and pray for our husbands and children.  I was so excited because not only would I be praying for them more regularly, but would also have the accountability to continue on this path.  We did meet for a few weeks, but then summer came, and then it just wasn't workable with both of our very busy schedules.  I was sad when I realized we would not be able to continue this during this busy stage of our lives.

But just because we aren't able to meet, doesn't mean I can't pray, right?  Easier said than done.

When I wake up in the morning, I hit the ground running.  My 1 year old wants milk (and needs a diaper change), my 3 and 5 year olds are always starving, and my 8 year old wants "the plan" in full detail for the entire day, minute by minute.  As I'm stumbling to the kettle to heat water for my big, fat, morning coffee fix, I'm not usually thinking of how I can pray for my children - I'm usually thinking, "I hope we have a pretty easy day."

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.

But I have noticed that when I pray, it affects the way I see my day, versus how I think the day should look.  The days where I pray are not always my easiest days.  In fact, when I have complained to my husband that I had prayed and had a horrible day, he has smiled and said, "Imagine what kind of day it would have been if you hadn't prayed."  Good answer, but I haven't always appreciated it in the moment.

I have also learned that while I still would like to have a more disciplined prayer life, I am in a stage that doesn't give me long leisurely hours to sit and bask in the Lord's presence.  I am in a season that requires me to be in "survival mode" most of the time.  But with all that I am expected to do each day, I can honestly say that prayer has worked in miraculous ways.  He doesn't ask us to have long prayer times; He asks us to come to Him and share our hearts with Him and to b e l i e v e Him.  Do we believe Him, that He loves us, that He desires good for us, that He takes care of our every need even though we don't always have the evidence in front of us?  The way we act is a direct reflection of the belief in our hearts.

This is often how my prayers go.

"Lord, please give me strength with Evan right now.  He is pushing my buttons."
"Lord, please give me the fruit of your Spirit today because I have nothing to give."
"Lord, please give Madeline good dreams tonight because she gets really scared of the bad ones."
"Lord, please show me my children's hearts so that I can better love and guide them."
"Lord, please protect my husband - heart, spirit, soul, mind and body - and give him strength to finish the day."

These are usually prayers of my heart, in the moment, whatever is going on.  I have read Stormie Omartian's Power of a Praying Parent and one of the most wonderful treasures I have kept in my heart is this concept:  If you have a worry or concern about your child, offer it up as a prayer and release them back into the Lord's hands.  I can't tell you the number of times that I have had these weird feelings that something bad was going to happen to my children and I have prayed, "Lord, in the name of Jesus and by the power of your blood, I ask you to protect my children from ----, and help me to believe and not worry about this anymore."

We can continue going to the grocery store, cleaning noses, making meals, changing diapers, and everything else that comes with the territory, and offer up these prayers on behalf of our little ones.  God doesn't ask us to sit for an hour - He asks for us to connect with Him on a regular basis.  He is our life line, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment