October 13, 2011

The Importance of Family

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Without the hugs, kisses, silly songs, long talks, road trips and sleepovers at my grandma's house, I would be a different person today.  7 years ago today, my grandma celebrated her heavenly birthday - she left this earth after battling breast cancer for several months.  While I miss her and our times together, I have many wonderful memories that remind me of how she was a significant part of my formative years.  

I have learned never to underestimate the power of the people who are part of my children's lives.  I used to think that I could fill up their little "love tanks" all by myself.  But how selfish.  But when my aunt or mom-in-law call up and ask if they can have "little visitors" over to play and love on, I am thrilled that they desire to invest in my children's hearts and lives in a unique way, different from, but not better than, I do.  

A few short years after losing my grandma, I lost someone else very special to me in a most unexpected way.  I have gone through the stages of grief, and sometimes it has felt unbearable.  But each time I allow myself to feel the pain and move forward, God continues to heal my heart.  I have also been amazed at God's sovereign power over my life during this time.  He has brought so many different people into my life to help encourage me, walk through depths of disappointment with me, to be part of my healing process.  These people have not replaced the person I lost, but they have certainly invested in my life in ways that have touched the deepest parts of my heart in unexpected ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment