December 9, 2011

Slowing Down

For the last several days, I have been homebound.  Normally, I would embrace this because I am constantly running here and there.  But when the decision is made without my permission because of a physical ailment, it is hard to be "stuck" at home.

I have been hearing the Lord whisper the word "simplify" in my heart during the last couple of months.  Yes, Lord, that is a super nice thought, but I can't do that.  I have children to raise, family drama to deal with, a house to clean, and I don't have time to simplify.  That's not a reality for me.  But I was recently listening to Joyce Meyer talk about the fruit of the Spirit.  As Christians, we have the fruit of God's Holy Spirit living inside of us, guiding us through every circumstance:  Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Faithfulness, Goodness, Gentleness and Self-Control.  Oh yeah, self-control.  Saying "I can't" is contrary to what God says about me.

I can do whatever He puts in my path.  But my husband said to me the other night, powerful yet hard to hear, "You don't pray because you really don't believe it works."  That sounds harsh, but anyone who knows my husband immediately knows what a gentle spirited man He is.  The words stung, but in a way that reminded me that I have a choice - to either rest in God's plan or go my own way.

I have had migraine headaches and dizziness in my head that I never knew possible.  I want to have a big fat pity party and invite everyone I know to feel sorry for me. ( Maybe I'll even get some good presents.)  But the fact of the matter is that this situation is pointing me back to what God has been giving me the choice to do on my own:  Slow Down.  But now, just as a loving and kind parent does, He must help me do what is best, what He's been encouraging me to do on my own for my own good.  He has helped me to slow down and simplify.  I want to run around my house cleaning, doing Christmas crafts, making goodies to eat and my physical body is not able to stay so busy.  Again, He is whispering, "Simplify. Slow down, my child."

His Word tells us to delight in Him and He will give us the desires of my heart.  One of my strongest desires is to just be with my kids.  True, I'm with them all day long, but to actually sit and bask in their presence is something I rarely get to do (or choose to do, if I'm honest).  Even so, I still have a choice while I'm forced to stay at home - to simplify each choice I make during the day or to continue in busyness and chaos.

I must confess that I have chosen busyness this morning.  But I still have several hours left in the day to choose to bask in the presence of God and the beautiful children He has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment